Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My First Homeschooling Post

Before I start writing today I want everyone who is reading to know this. If you not homeschooled I have absolutely nothing against you. I have many good friends who go to school and my grandparents have worked in the public school system as school teachers. The reason I have decided to write on homeschooling today is purely in response to a website my friend showed me, the Illinois Leader. (By the way thanks Tim for showing me this lets see if I do OK with it.) The writer, Scott Thomas, made some bold claims against homeschooling here and here. All I am attempting to do is answer some of the things he mentioned.

I have to say some of the quotes from Mr. Thomas surprised me, so I decided to show them to you.

".......there is statistical evidence that points to home schooled students performing better than the public school average on standardized tests. So what?"

Wait a second! You mean to tell me my test scores don't matter to you? You want to tell me that the effort of kids who do go to public school and score high does not matter to you? Isn't that what education is about? To score high and graduate with honors and in the near future get a great job for which you worked hard for. That is the point, hard work. The hard work of a society is what makes it prosperous. If we let the grades slip slowly downward then society goes with them. The generation of high scoring students (homeschooled and public schooled) is going to be the future of our country. You can not tell me my grades and the high scores of others don't mater.

Now moving on to the next surprising quote:

"But, much more common, from my observation, is that parents choose to home school as a form of protection for their children.

Typical of the emails I received from listeners is this: 'We don't want them (children) to be indoctrinated by tolerance of everything & everyone (except for conservative Christians), Pro-gay lifestyles, Evolution-is-fact teaching throughout the curriculum (and not just science), Prayer in school is forbidden, and many other examples that permeate the academic agenda.'

I don't like all of that junk, either. But, at what price, protection?"

When I read that last line my first reaction was, "Fantastic just one more person telling me 'you are so sheltered and don't know what real life is like'" But then I thought, I am sheltered. There is no getting around that. This does not mean I don't know the same things other kids know it just means I do not have to deal with them as much as others do. But I have dealt with people who think I am narrow minded because I don't accept certain evils. I have been challenged by evolution, but in school I have written papers on how and why it is not and cannot be true. I have been rejected by "friends" who would not accept me for various reasons. The only difference I can see between being "sheltered, young and naive" and "knowing what it is like" is I felt more prepared when I was challenged. So yes I am sheltered but I am not stupid.

The second part of his quote I would like to address is when Mr. Thomas asked, "But, at what price, protection?" Here is my question for you, Mr.Thomas, can you put a price on protection? Jesus gave his life for our protection from death and Hell. What would have happened to us if He said, "Well at what price protection?", do we want to know what would have happened? Now I do not want my readers to think I am comparing salvation to the way we chose to school. The point I am trying to make is protection does not have a price. My mom and dad have talked about sending me to a school, but there are ways I would still be under their protection, no mater what it cost them. They have made sure I have a solid foundation in the Bible. They closely monitor what I do on the internet and what video games I play. Where I am going, what I am doing and who I am with are never unanswered questions for them. So I am not saying that public schools are unproductive in and of themselves, it is what is allowed to happen in some of them that can put us (students) in bad situations.

In my closing I would like to remind you, if you go to a school I have nothing against you. I am open for any comments you may have. One last thing before I go. I have often thought it is not the schools that are the problem, but the system which they are now controlled by. I want to be taught how to think not what to think.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Michael said...

I agree with you, even though I do go to a public school. However, the only disadvantage I can see with being homeschooled is that your social skills would not be as good as someone who went to a public school each day.

Anyway, good post and God bless you.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 1:25:00 PM

 
Blogger MVB said...

Great post! Being homeschooled is really a great blessing, first of all ( besides the stuff that you already mentioned) your parents will take much more time and effort to make sure you learn everything that you should than a regular public school teacher ever would...

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:18:00 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Knox said...

Hi there. Saw a link to here from The Account, and felt like posting. ;)

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm, unfortunately, in a public school. Fortunately, I'm in a small 'school within a school' with advanced curriculum and better kids. I was very sheltered the first 13 years of my life, and I wish I could go back. When you are surrounded by evil, it's a huge battle to hold your own.

The teachers are a problem. Most of them are liberal, anti-God, and immoral. This is coming from a 50-50 red-blue county. I have one conservative teacher, and no upstanding Christians! Christianity is always presented as 'irrational'. They claim to teach us how to think, but they slip in their opinions as truth.

This has sorta gone from pro-homeschooling to an anti-public school tirade, so I'll end it. Keep it up and when people confront you about it, pray for them and know you're better off than they are.

Monday, July 25, 2005 11:43:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home